Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Btwin folding bike. Is it any good?

My folding bike on a train from Greenwich to London Bridge.
For the last two weeks I have pedalled a folding bike. No, not that Brompton bike. Well, that cute bike is beyond my budget. At least for now. I plan to have one though and it means I have to start saving.

The one that I ride is Btwin, a brand by Decathlon. I got it last July for £200 after the store slashed the price from £300. It said the green colour bike that I purchased was no longer in production.

Right, enough the introduction. The ride is surprisingly reassuring. I do not have complaints because it feels right. Just do not forget to adjust your seat post and the handle bar.

Now come to one of the most important thing of a folding bike, the folding process. I have to tell you I need some time to master how to fold the bike. (Even the staff at Decathlon looks puzzled when he showed me how to fold...)

When you are familiar with the process it takes about a minute to fold. Yes I know, it is far cry from the Bromptons which require only 20 seconds to fold.

The bike also a little bit heavy, I think it is about 12 kg or so.

But it is still smaller than a road bike and you can bring with you on the train even on the rush hour.

So to wrap it up, I think it is fair enough to say that the bike is good if you are in tight budget and want to bike in some parts of your journey.

1 comment:

  1. If you haven't tried one, you really should check out a Montague folding bike - they're full-size folding bikes, but you can still take them on the train. Also super easy to fold - just 20 seconds. I have one, and it has totally changed my commute.

    ReplyDelete